Q: When does the school day start and end?
- A: The school day begins at 8:35 and ends at 2:50 when busses are dismissed. Pre-K operates on an extended-day program and is open from 7:30-5:30.
Q: What After School Programs do you offer?
- A: Pre-K operates on an extended-day program and is open from 7:30-5:30. After school childcare for younger children is also available. Our teachers are always willing to provide students with extra help afterschool. Please contact your child's teacher directly to make arrangements.
Q: What does the school uniform look like?
- A: All students wear navy blue collared tops and khaki bottoms. On gym days, students may wear navy blue T-shirts with blue sweat pants. From time to time the school sells polo shirts and gym shirts imprinted with the school logo, but parents can always purchase uniforms at their favorite retailer.
Q: How do I apply?
- A: Though Daniels’ staff is happy to provide you with all the information you need to make the right decision for your child, the application process is handled by the Magnet/Registration office of New Haven Public Schools. For details about the process for applying to John Daniels School or to download an application, please visit the New Haven Interdistrict Magnet Schools website. The application window is February - March for the following school year.
Q: Is transportation provided to my town?
- A: Transportation is provided for Kindergarten-8th grade students from the following districts:
Amity Regional, Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Branford, Cheshire, Clinton, Derby, East Haven, Guilford, Hamden, Madison, Middletown, Milford, Naugatuck, New Haven, North Branford, North Haven, Orange, Oxford, Seymour, Shelton, Southbury, Stratford, Wallingford, Waterbury, Westbrook, West Haven, Wolcott, Woodbridge.
If your town is not listed, you are still encouraged to apply.
Q: How can I arrange to take a tour of the school?
- A: We would be happy to schedule a visit for you and your child. Please contact Carroll Ryan, JCD’s Magnet Resource Teacher, to choose a time that works for you.
Carroll Ryan—203-691-3604 email@example.com (hablo Espanol)
Q: How do you ensure student safety?
- A: Safety is our first priority for our students. Our full-time security guard works to ensure that the building is secure and that students are safe. Surveillance cameras monitor the premises, and all staff are committed to security.